Monday, April 6, 2009

Great Quote to Think About

For all of the bloggers, including myself, out there, this is a great quote to keep in mind (I read this quote in the letter to shareholders written by Jamie Dimon, President of JP Morgan, one of the few strong financial companies left because of how they did business):

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of the deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Regardless of where I disagree with our government and where I think they could have done better; I am proud to see that they acted. Upon getting more and more bad news (often times worse than the news from the day before) every single day they acted to help solve the problem and perhaps get ahead of it. Hind sight is 20-20 and mistakes were made, but I don't think anyone can say that our Government didn't try the best solution they had on hand at that time.

On a different point, to go along with the above post, I am going to try with this blog to look at each issue from all perspectives by putting myself in the shoes of those making decisions and acting, to see what I might have thought or done had I been the one in position. I am also going to be doing more myself. I write my representatives, I complain and whine to those who'll listen, but I don't stand up and do something about those things I believe strongly in. I hope to post soon about how I have changed that.

No comments: