Monday, September 14, 2009

Great Quotes

I read a lot. Sometimes I read an article that really can't be broken down so I post the whole thing. Most of the time I read articles that can easily be broken down into 3 or 4 good ideas and I can expound on them. Then there are sometimes the articles are either too long to share, too poorly written to share, or just plain old stink - yet they have a quote or two that I really like. Here is a compendium of some of those quotes.

"In my experience it takes an expert with a powerful computer to truly foul things up." - John Mauldin (Instant classic)

"The case for free markets never was that markets are perfect. The case for free markets is that government control of markets, especially asset markets, has always been much worse." - John Cochrane (Why couldn't/can't anyone running for office argue this point for free markets this simply?)

"I should now apprise you of the resolution I have formed, to decline being considered among the number of those of whom a choice [in President] is made. I beg you at the same time to do me the justice to be assured that this resolution has not been taken without strict regard to all the considerations appertaining to the relation which binds dutiful citizen to his country - and that, in withdrawing the tender of service which silence in my situation might imply, I am influenced by no diminution of zeal for your future interest, no deficiency of grateful respect for your past kindness, but am supported by a full conviction that the step is compatible with both." - George Washington (This was President Washington's farewell address. Can you imagine any of our current politicians bowing out like this, without some big scandal forcing them to, but doing so because they felt they could no longer physically and mentally do the job necessary?)

"Intensely desired goals, clearly defined with detailed plans for their accomplishment act as a continual stimulus for ideas to achieve them." - Brian Tracy (Think about this quote in terms of our nation as a whole)


"We have a host of members of Congress, but there's one that I have to single out because he is going to be helping to shape the agenda going forward to make sure that we have one of the strongest, most dynamic, and most innovative financial markets in the world for many years to come, and that's my good friend, Barney Frank" - President Obama (I included this one not because the chills I got were the warm and fuzzy goosebumps, but because..well...it scared the heck out of me to hear it stated so bluntly)

What is one misplaced assumption in business today?
"That's a thoughtful question. [For] investors or businesses, that any problem can be quickly solved without a long-term plan. And that's held by business leaders as well as government." - Meredith Whitney (The current Health Care proposals come to mind here.)

2 comments:

tom said...

It seems that, although common sense seems to be in abundance, it is not common amongst all people.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how about "You lie!" Not the most popular, nor the most appropriate, but it was heartfelt and right on the money.